Friday, February 10, 2012

Customs

4:00 PM
Every once in a while, when you live in a foreign country, something happens that reminds you how far away from home you are. For example, my little flu fiasco two weeks ago. Today, FedEx of Santiago reminded me yet again that Dorothy is not in Kansas anymore.

I should start at the beginning of the story and mention that my hatred (yes, I said hatred) for FedEx or Customs (I guess I should figure out who I hate first before hating them) all began about a month ago. After having my iPhone stolen in December, and buying one on Craig's list while I was home over Christmas, I was disappointed to discover upon my return to Chile that I could not unlock it to be used in Chile. My obsession with being connected to my friends and family via Facebook, Skype, Twitter and Blogger led me back to the Apple website time and time again until I gave in and bought a $650 globally unlocked iPhone and had it sent to my parents. Such phones are not for sale in Chile, or I would have just gotten one here. Much to my dismay, I tracked the package only to find out that customs had detained it and FedEx could not provide me with any further assistance. I curled up my tail after a little crying spell on the phone with my dad (even I get homesick sometimes), waited a few weeks, and crawled into a Movistar store to buy my 3rd iPhone in 6 weeks. That is how bad I wanted that phone! So, you can understand a little better now why I am frustrated with FedEx and/or customs.

Well, I wish that were the end of the story, but it is not. Two days ago I got an email from my dad informing me that my birthday box has been detained. I immediately got on the phone with FedEx, the airport, even the US Embassy - who were all completely useless. My iPhone was one thing, but my birthday presents! Oh no, you do not get between a girl and her birthday!

So, I am sitting on a bus as we speak on my way to the airport to rip off some unfortunate customs agent's head unless he gives me my regaloa. I really hope it works out or this chica is going to be one sour grape.

6:15 PM
Update: I am on the metro on my way back from the airport empty handed. How do drug smugglers do it if I can't even convince someone to give me a box of magazines and DVDs? I now know both packages are still in Santiago in the customs warehouse. Unfortunately, they were not properly marked and I have to pay a fine of 50% of the value of the packages for failure to declare the contents properly. They haven't processed the paperwork on my birthday presents yet, so they wouldn't release the box to me. They are going to put the two shipments together to make it so I only have to pay 50% of the total, because a 2nd offense is a 100% fine. I guess there is always a good side to things. I will be able to get my phone (which I now don't need) and my presents (which I will have to pay for) but it will be cheaper if I pay for them together. Lesson learned: declare everything, don't use FedEx, and if you can, just don't get things shipped to Chile from the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment