Saturday, November 24, 2012

Iguazu Falls

As if the beaches of Rio weren't enough beauty for one week, our trip progressed to even more spectacular views of God's creation - Iguazu Falls. The falls are the border between Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay (though the Paraguay side is not worth visiting for anything other than the duty-free zone). Erica and I chose to focus our attention on the Argentina and Brazil sides.

Falls from the Argentine side
Our first day, we spent 8 hours in the National Park in Argentina, walking along slippery stone steps, crossing wooden bridges above the falls, and even riding a boat straight into them! Not surprisingly, we were soaked by the end of the day, which was actually quite refreshing considering the 80 degree weather. The falls were incredible - like nothing you have ever seen. Though I haven't ever been to Niagara Falls, I am convinced they cannot be anywhere near as impressive. The water just goes on for miles crashing and splashing into the river below.


On the river boat about to get soaked
To satisfy Erica's hunger for a good Brazilian rodizio dinner, we ate at a really friendly restaurant called Bufalo Branco that was all you can eat meat (yay!). The exciting thing for me was the all you can eat side-dishes, that were actually Cameron-approved. The waiters caught on pretty quickly that I was turning down every cut of steak that came around on metal sticks and asked if I was okay. I assured them that I was fine but did not eat red meat. Shockingly, they pulled out all the stops and requested the chef to make me some chicken and fish so that I too could have all that I could eat. After dinner, they invited Erica and I into the kitchen to take photos in chef's hats in front of the giant spit.


Dinner at Bufalo Branco Churrascaria 
 The following day, we ventured into the Brazilian park to get the view from above the falls. The two sides really offer completely different experiences. There is a sky elevator that you can ride up to get a panoramic view of the entire park while staying dry. The ability to remain un-soaked would have been welcome with open arms if we had not already welcomed the falls into our arms...and much more.

Drenched again!
We found ourselves drenched by both the falls and rain by 10 AM. Satisfied that we had seen the falls and our fair share of coaties, we ventured into the 5-star hotel on the property for a few final Caiparinas before heading to the airport. I've had Iguazu Falls on my South America bucket list since January, so I am glad that I can check it off. It was everything I thought it would be and more!

Tourist feeding the coaties (which is strictly forbidden)

No comments:

Post a Comment