Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Gliding above Santiago

My birthday was last Monday, and in order to bring in 27 properly, Eric really outdid himself. Although I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend in Buenos Aires last year over my birthday weekend, we opted to stay local this year and spend the weekend in Santiago. What an amazing decision! After spending two weeks working in ViƱa del Mar, I returned home on Friday night to celebrate a belated Valentine´s Day dinner at Ky Restobar. The thai food was great, for Chilean thai food.

Our plans for the next day were a mystery to me. Eric came by around 1 PM and told me to pack a bag with good walking shoes, a bathing suit and towel, plenty of sunscreen, and a jacket in case I got cold. Since it is about 85°F in Santiago right now, I was a bit confused how I could possibly get cold anywhere, but I obeyed his orders excited for what was to come. Minutes later we were in a taxi on our way to an undisclosed location. Upon arrival, my greatest hopes came true. I have been seeing gliders soaring above Santiago for the past year wishing that I could be in the backseat of such a plane. My off-hand comments about my desire to go gliding did not go unnoticed! Eric planned a funfilled day of soaring above Santiago.

Ready to glide!
While waiting for the pilot to arrive, we toured the small airport and took pictures with a few of the planes. An instructor gave us a brief lesson on what the different dials meant, strapped me into the backseat of the plane, and we were off! A tow plane dragged the two-person glider up into the air, and within minutes we were free - sailing through the sky 1.5 km above Santiago. The air was surprisingly clear for Santiago, and the view of the city was incredible. I hadn't realized how big the sprawling city of Santiago was until I was looking at it from above. The pilot passed the controls to me a few times to let me fly the plane. What a rush! After about 45 minutes in the air, it was time to come down and let Eric take his turn at flying with the birds.
Santiago from the sky
Happy birthday to me!!

Ready to be towed into the air

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to spend your birthday! Another Jackson pilot in the making?
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete