Sunday, March 25, 2012

EARTHQUAKE!!

Friday night I was rudely awaken from my slumbers at 4:30 AM by a strange swaying feeling. I soon realized that the building was shaking. Earthquake!! I immediately started texting my friends to see if anyone else had woken up and felt it. Sure enough, we were all freaking out. It must have lasted at least 30 seconds. I went online in the morning when I got up to find out where and how strong it was. It was just 50 miles north of Santiago and was a 5.3! I am pretty sure it was the strongest earthquake I have ever felt, and I have been in quite a few after living in California for 7 years, until...

...fast forward until 7:30 tonight. I had just gotten out of a movie and was in a store very similar to Ikea with my friend Emma, when all of a sudden, we were looking at some furniture and I looked at her and said, "I think the world is moving." Sure enough, it was! This time it lasted for about 45 seconds and felt much stronger. I wish I had never discovered http://ssn.dgf.uchile.cl/ because I immediately go there anytime I feel the earth move to find out how strong the earthquake was. This one was about 200 miles from Santiago and was a 6.8! That is really big! It's a good thing I looked up what to do in case of an earthquake after what happened on Friday night. It's too bad there were no door frames in the store I was at. People started panicking and running around the store like crazy. There was a manager trying to calm them down unsuccessfully. Now that it has passed, I am mostly just upset that I left my cart in the store and went home. I really could have used that full-length mirror...

No comments:

Post a Comment