Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Coruña

In Spanish style, I'm writing this on a bus to a different airport than the one I was supposed to fly out of, because...Spain. 

For my final weekend in Spain before my Eat Pray Love experience begins, I went to visit my good friend Lumy who since moving away from Santiago had moved to Spain, gotten married and had the most gorgeous baby boy named Dany. 

Though the trip was short, it was amazing to catch up with her, share memories of our times in Chile and play with her son. La Coruña is in Galicia, a part of Spain I've never been to, so it want hard to convince me to book a flight considering how close it is to Barcelona and how far away we will be once I return to reality in Seattle next fall. 

Her apartment overlooks the Tower of Hercules which is the oldest (and only remaining) Roman lighthouse in the world. While Lumy was tending to Dany and doing whatever it is that mothers do (#nap) this morning, I hiked up the hill to the lighthouse to scale the stairs to the top and see the breathtaking views of the sea. The weather wasn't in our favor, so our attempt to visit the viewpoint at Mont de San Pedro after a fabulous meal at La Mafia ended in a Dany play session in the car while it hailed on us outside. 

Maybe I shouldn't blame Vueling but the forces that will be for the diversion of my flight. We'd planned to go to Santiago de Conpostela for the day, but the weather got in the way. Funnily enough - it is also the reason I'm ending up at the airport there to fly out. I have a feeling this is just the first of many rescheduled/diverted/cancelled/hopefullynotmissingMH370 flights in the next 3 months. 

Always the optimist, at least I can say that I was supposed to go diving at 8 tomorrow morning and (probably the same) weather caused them to cancel the dive. Now I can finish my advanced open water certification with Sarah in Thailand, I am not risking flying outside the recommended 24 hour period and I have a whole day left in Barcelona to buy a pair of sandals (absolutely necessary item in SE Asia which I don't have with me), pack and get some passport photos taken for my Cambodian and Napali visas. Everything happens for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment