Sunday, March 15, 2015

Tenerife

Making good on my promise, I'll start off the new era of Walking on Sunshine with a most apt trip to the beach. Four friends of mine from school hopped on a dirt cheap flight to Tenerife for four days of sunshine, beaches and a little bit of R&R (as if we don't get enough of that in Barcelona). We spent all day Friday lying in the sun, swimming in the pool and drinking copious amounts of beer, because...when in Spain!

My impressions of the islands fall in line well with what TripAdvisor warned us about. There are a lot of old people here. As in, the average age is ~70. You'd really have a hard time guessing what country you were in if someone blindfolded you, put you on a flight and took it off when you got to the beach. Our first encounter with Igor, the leasing agent who gave us the keys to our apartment in Compostela Beach would be only the first Russian we came across. The signs here are all in Spanish, English, Russian and German. The people seem to be about the same, maybe except for the Spanish part. It's like the island is where European pensioners come to die. Doesn't bother me though! If it's 25 and sunny, I'm happy!

We rented a car on Saturday and drove around the island stopping midday at El Bollullo Beach. It was very secluded and beautiful. As the afternoon faded into evening, we hopped back into the car driving through the windy road in Masca Valley to catch sunset on the beach. We made it back to Playa de las Americas for dinner at Monkey Bar. The guys seemed to love the place for their quality steak. 

Sunday was more of the same blue skies and beaches. I think we achieved what we came for. We wandered down to Costa Adeje for sunset and enjoyed yummy mango caipiroskas at Papagayo Beach Club before dinner at Chunga Changa where I had one of the best spaghettis I've ever eaten. The Canarian wine was great too! With only three days left of the MBA, I feel like I recharged my batteries enough for the final push. Next stop, La Coruña!

No comments:

Post a Comment