Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cerro San Cristobal

Now that I've (hopefully) gotten apartment hunting out of the way, it was time to have some fun this weekend and see the city. Guido and Aylim, my new friends, took me to Cerro San Cristobal, a giant statue to the Virgin Mary on top of a mountain yesterday.
Me standing in front of the El Cerro San Cristobal
They just sold their house in North Carolina and wanted to make an offering to "La Virgen de Concepcion" in thanks for their good fortune. I thought it was a great opportunity for sight-seeing, so I tagged along. The hike up the mountain to the statue was quite the workout - not quite what I was expecting. I've got to admit....I'm actually sore today. Either from that, or because I actually dragged my lazy butt out onto a run yesterday morning. While on that run, I saw a sign for a 5K next weekend in the neighborhood of my hotel. I think I might do it in effort to see more of the city and perhaps make a new friend. I'm putting myself out there in any way I can!
The offering "sanctuary"
I digress...back to yesterday's events. The view from the top of the mountain was amazing! You could see all of Santiago in any direction. I knew it was big, but seeing it from the top of a mountain really put things in perspective. The city goes on and on and on....
Guido and I with Santiago in the background (and the Andes)

After our hike and religious activity of the day, the three of us decided that we had earned a trip to Bellavista for Happy Hour. I've learned already that the best thing about Happy Hour in Chile is that it typically lasts from 4 PM to 10 PM. I don't really understand how they can call that Happy "HOUR," but who is complaining? After 3 mojitos, I was ready to call it a day. Fortunately, so were Guido, Aylim, and the newest addition to my slowly growing group of friends, Dani - a Brazilian girl with a dirty mind and a great sense of humor. I can see myself getting along with her well.
Mojitos and Caipirihnas all around!

For a more extended version of the photos, check out this link, where I've uploaded all of my pictures from the day:

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4056917023/a=155380414_155380414/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/


Today's event will have to be recanted tomorrow, because I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow, as my official 1st day of work. Gotta get my beauty sleep (if you can really call it that as an accountant).

2 comments:

  1. you are such a YAM! I can't believe you are putting youself out there so much, well I can because what else would you do... I'm so excited for you I want to hear more about work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new friends!!!

    -Sarita

    ReplyDelete