Thursday, October 20, 2011

Club de Montaña

In an effort to see the country (specifically the Andes region), I decided today that I would join "Club de Montaña." Initially, I thought that it was simply a group of people who get together monthly to go on hikes in the mountains surrounding Santiago. And, after going to the meeting, I can affirm that it is. HOWEVER, getting together monthly to go on hike in the mountains surrounding Santiago is not quite the same as going for a hike in Runyon Canyon. First of all, the cordillera that surrounds Santiago doesn't come close in comparison to the meager looking rock formations we call mountains in Southern California, or El Paso, for that matter. The Sierra Nevada and the Rockies are mere dirt mounds on the side of the Rio Grande that my brother and cousins' and I used as children as defense against one another in our childish paintball wars in comparison to these monstrosities.

How exiciting!!

Remeber this photo from the other day? Ya...that is what Club de Montaña hikes
They have a facebook page, so I thought I would go check out what I was getting myself into after the leader/guide suggested we all get DryFit clothing, a Camelback, some Goretex socks, and sturdy hiking boots (not to mention the hiking poles that he said "no son obligatorios, pero recomendados"). I'm really looking forward to doing the following things:


Just like hiking in Park City...only NOT


These are real pictures of my backyard


This is something called "Choriboulder"


I think I am going to like this place :)


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see more. The country is so beautiful. Keep the info coming.
    Love
    Lucile

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!

    -sarita

    ReplyDelete