Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cuban Flavor

I had my first experience with Cuban food last night, albeit Chilean Cuban food, but Cuban nonetheless. Most of the restaurants here boast late happy hours that last until 10 or 10:30 at night (which in comparison to their typical dinner hour, really isn't all that late). Guido, Aylim (who is from Cuba), three of their friends and I went to one such restaurant last night. http://www.damarisrestaurant.cl/ Upon arrival, the owner seemed a little dismayed because apparently the cook had just gotten in a motorcycle accident or something and hurt his arm really badly. She asked if we were okay with some dish named after a famous Chilean dude (not what it is called in Cuba, obviously). We all accepted, with minor modifications to my dish, since it is normally made of pork. Can't eat anything with a hoof!

The owner then disappeared for about 20 minutes while the bartender prepared our Mojitos. When she returned, we realized that the reason for the story about the cook and the limited menu (or lack thereof) was due to the fact that she was doing the cooking. I guess she only knew how to make one dish! Anyway, the food was great. For all I know, it could have tasted nothing like Cuban food, since I haven't ever eaten Cuban food, but it was one of the better meals I have had since I got here. In comparison to the tuna salad I had for lunch today, it was gourmet!

There was an adorable old Brazilian couple sitting at the only other occupied table in the restaurant who got up to dance half-way through our meal. Those old people could dance! They could only make it for one song at a time, but they definitely could show this gringa up on the dance floor any day...and that they did! Despite my attempt to remain in my seat at the table, I was forced to get up and dance with one of Aylim's friends. Being the only person in the restaurant without latin blood certainly was obvious. My hips just don't move that way! A few dances later, I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost midnight. Fearing that I might turn into a pumpkin, I casually yawned to express how tired I was. Fortunately, the others were fading as well. I took the Chilean lead and came in at 9:15 this morning. It's a good thing it was not a problem, since it was my manager's fault I was out so late. I have plans with a new friend named Santiago tonight too, so hopefully tomorrow isn't a big day at work. Judging by the fact that we have a 4-day weekend ahead of us, I doubt many people will have their minds focused on work. Gotta love South American holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Every day is something different for you. How exciting! I've never had Cuban food either...to my knowledge.
    Love
    Lucile

    ReplyDelete