Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Laguna de Aculeo

Saturday was a peak in my month here so far. I met a really fun group of Americans that invited me to a lake house for the weekend at Laguna de Aculeo. Yay for Gringos! They have all been down here for quite some time and are here for various reasons. One of them owns a local gringo bar (the one I watched Sunday Night Football at my first weekend in town), another two are starting a business that helps ex-pats get their visas (I could have used that 2 months ago), one is a blueberry exporter, one is a doctor, and the list goes on. They were a lot of fun, and totally seem like a group of people that I could be friends with. A few of them were from Texas and California, so I felt very comfortable. Even better - one of them needs a place to live soon! I could have a roommate and really cheap rent by January. Good things come to those that wait.

They had rented a ski boat for the afternoon, which sounded really exciting. Unfortunately, the lake was really choppy and the first group that went out came back within 30 minutes because it wasn't worth paying for the boat. Maybe next time. I haven't waterskied since Camp Longhorn in 2005, so I was a little relieved I didn't have to embarrass myself. They apparently rent houses on the lake, the coast, or down south all summer long. Sounds like it is going to be a great summer if I end up hanging out with this crew. I didn't necessarily come to Chile to make friends with a bunch of Americans, but it sure is easier to have a group of friends that speaks English and comes from a similar background. We had a great big barbeque, engaged in two-stepping at one point in the evening, and ended the night with Catch Phrase and Dominos. Best weekend yet in Santiago, by far. I was totally unprepared again, without a camera, but to give you an idea of what the lake looks like, here is a link to the tourist website: http://www.lagunadeaculeo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment